News:
   Last Name:   First Name:
Log In
Advanced Search
Surnames
What's New
Most Wanted
Photos
Histories
Documents
Videos
Recordings
Albums
All Media
Cemeteries
Headstones
Places
Notes
Dates and Anniversaries
Reports
Sources
Repositories
Statistics
Change Language
Bookmarks
Contact Us
Register for a User Account



 Histories


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 123» Next»

Ellen Jane Bailey Lamborn

The daughter of Joseph and Ann Smith Bailey

Ellen Jane Bailey Lamborn

Ellen Jane Bailey Lamborn was born January 27, 1827, in Innerskillen, Ireland, the daughter of Joseph and Ann Smith Bailey. She married John Lamborn. John’s health was poor and he died in 1858. Ellen Jane with her three children came to Utah in 1864 sailing and the Hudson and crossing the plains with Captain Snow’s company. They went to Spanish Fork, Utah, where her mother Ann Bailey and her oldest son were living. In 1868 they all moved to Laketown. Her mother Ann Bailey was the first woman to be buried in the Laketown Cemetery on December 19, 1870.

William Lamborn was born in Bath, Somersetshire, England. When William was 8 years old he came to Utah with his grandmother, Ann Bailey. After they moved to Laketown he married Unice Kershaw. Three years later he died of appendicitis. Two children were born to this union: Mary Ann and Martha.

Edwin George Lamborn was born December 10, 1849, in England. He was 15 years old when he and his mother, a brother, Joseph, and a sister, Ellen came to Utah. In 1867 he drove two yoke of oxen to Laketown, the nest year they moved there to make permanent residence. Edwin helped build the first home in the town. He married Melinda Weaton, a daughter of Nehemiah and Roseanna Gifford. Melinda was a wonderful woman always helping people she was president of the Relief Society for many years. She loved to knit and many of the new babies had a pair of her baby shoes. She was the mother of eleven children: Nellie Rose Tremilling, Jane Robinson, George, Bertha Kearl, John Frank, Ada Wahlstrom, Ray and Willard.

In 1884 Edwin married his brother’s widow, Eunice Ker4shaw Lamborn, and to this union five sons and one daughter were born William, Ruben, Alfred, Fredric, Lawrence and Eunice Vern Orvin.

After Eunice died Melinda was mother to all the children. Edwin lived in Laketown 55 years. He was an honest upright industrious, enterprising citizen, a successful farmer and stock raiser and a faithful member of the Church.
Berth Lamborn Kearl

Notes:

In From the autobiography of Eliza Ann Bailey Lamborn:

“In 1868 my brothers William, Edwin G. and Joseph Lamborn, were called from our home in Spanish Fork to settle in Bear Lake Territory (Laketown) and Grandmother Ann Bailey and I accompanied them. Here they built a log house and planted crops the first two years the crops were destroyed by crickets or grasshoppers. Those years we lived mostly on potatoes and suckers, a bony fish from the lake.”

“Bear Lake district was the summer home of the Ute, Sioux and Shoshone Indian tribes. We would see long trials of them come over the mountain, traveling single file. When they all arrived, the flats next to the lake were covered with hundreds of teepees and wigwams. They made their living by hunting, fishing and begging. We had been advised by Pres. Brigham Young to give them whatever they asked for. This we did and never had any serious trouble with them, but were forced to make many sacrifices. At one time the tribe asked for an ox and got it. (Note: It was a three-year-old steer and settlers had bought from John C. Marley that was butchered at his place. John’s wife told how the squaws swarmed around snatching the insides of the animal and going away eating them.)

In the summer of 1870, parts of two tribes of Indians, numbering, some said, three thousand or more, mostly warriors, came and camped in the South shore of Bear Lake. Their objection coming was to prevent if they could, the white people from settling here, as this part of the valley they had retained (by treaty) as their hunting ground. Chief Washakie was with them. They were determined to hold this part at any cost, but Washakie was for peace and used his influence to obtain it.

“The people here were in sore need but were compelled to give the Indians beef, flour, potatoes and other food. The horses, cattle, and all other stock was put in strongly built corrals or stockades at night and men took turns guarding them but in spite of vigilance some horses and cattle were stolen. The Indians had a great number of ponies and they ate all the grass and the grasshoppers had not taken. The Indian’s teepees set from the point of the hill on the west corner of the lake to the hills on the eastern end. Their camp fires at night glowed like a lighted city”

From the personal family record of Lousie Delina Cheney Willis.

Luther Reed Bailey, son of Luther Reed and Elizabeth Sophia Bailey, was born in Tooele, Utah, February 10, 1858. - - - - His family was among the first to settle in Round valley.

One of the earliest settlers in this part was Luther Reed, a member of the vanguard of Charles C. Rich Company that arrived at Liberty, May 12, 1863, looking for a suitable place to establish a sawmill. Mr. Reed pressed forward with a few companions along the west Shore of Bear Lake to Round Valley, finding an ideal spot near the head of Big Spring Creek.

James Kearl was the son of John Kearl and Elizabeth Gates of Brockenhurst, Hampshire, England

--- Fanny lived in the Luther Reed Home in the mouth of the mill Canyon at Laketown.

George Earley Sr. was born 17 April 1824 in Brockenhurst, England.

In 1867 Luther Reed and others, along with Edwin G. Lamborn, constructed a fort at the present site of Laketown. Reed had returned to Utah County the previous season for his wife Elizabeth and their two children. Lamborn also brought his family. This is the first hint of a settlement of families at Laketown. P. 75 History of Rich County.

For all practical purposes, the earliest recorded history in southern Bear Lake Valley took place in Round Valley. It was here that Luther Reed, George Braffet, and others first came in search of a suitable mill site.


File nameEllen Jane Bailey Lamborn
File Size
ID240
Linked toEllen Jane BAILEY

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 123» Next»