Last Name:   First Name:
Log In
Advanced Search
What's New
Most Wanted
All Media
Dates and Anniversaries
Change Language
Contact Us
Register for a User Account


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 123» Next»

Catherine Woodbury Stay Green

My Personal Record. Catherine was one of Joseph Hyrum Stay's daughters.

I was born 18 April 1895 in my parents home at Sixth South and 236 West, Salt Lake City, Utah. I was a large baby and very normal. My Mother's name was Mary Cornelia Woodbury. My father's name was Joseph Hyrum Stay. On 6 June 1895 I was named and blessed in the Seventh Ward Chapel by Thomas Hobart Woodbury. My first recollection is a board fence all around our lot, which was part of Orchard Square. The fence had one board missing. There was just enough room for a little girl friend who lived next door and me to sit together. A large apple tree shaded us there. My Grandfather, Thomas Hobart Woodbury, had property out in Millcreek at 14th South and 15th East. We were living there when the Wilford Ward was organized in 1900. Before that time, we belonged to the old Milcreek ward. The said property is now 33rd South and 15th East. My parents lived on this property. It was one of the first fruit orchards in the county . They raised much fruit and some hay and grain for a livelihood. Many Granger (now West Valley City) people came to purchase their canning fruit, etc. Of course, people came out from town to get our fruit also. I can't remember when I couldn't help pick the crops--cherries, prunes, peaches and damsons. My father was an electrician, and part of the time we lived in Big Cottonwood Canyon, a little way above the power plant where he worked. I learned to walk up there with a cane as it was rough ground. My sisters tell me how cute they thought I looked. My father died 20 April 1898 when I was three years old. I know I can remember his bringing me home a sack of candy. That is all I do remember of him. When I was about six years old I had a neighbor girl friend by the name of Ella Ferris, whose family wasn't L.D.S. When I would go to see her, they would very often have me eat with them. I had been taught to have the blessing on the food before I ate. So, trying not to be noticed, I would close my eyes and ask the blessing silently. And then I would enjoy my meal. I was baptized 2 May 1903 by Levi North in a canal on 13th East and 8th South. I remember how cold it was and how long it seemed before we could get to a house to get dressed. On 3 May 1903, I was confirmed by John W. White in the Wilford Ward. I'm so glad my Mother saw to it I was taught the Gospel and had me baptized. It was a long way back and forth to the University of Utah where my older sisters went to school, so my Mother moved up just west of the University for the winter months. While we lived up there I was enroled in kindergarten at the Stewart Training School when five years old. That which seemed such a big hill to me then is not much of a hill now, and there were rocks and grass and weeds and wild flowers growing here houses and lawns are at present. The next year I attended the Wilford School, lovingly called the "Little Red Hen School". There were eight grades in two rooms. Mrs Schachelford was my first grade teacher and De Valois Cummings was the principal. He was also the first Bishop of Wilford Ward. J. Spencer Cornwall was also one of my teachers. He used to play for me to sing solos at all the programs at the school. So you see I had a good start. Anyway I loved it. About the third grade we students had such a good time playing ball in the "Little Red Hen School" yard. A wagon used to take us down to Scotts School for fourth grade, which is now the shop at Granite High School. We had a notion and liked to dance the quadrille during recesses and noon hours that year. Next I went to North School. A Mr. Jensen was my teacher. A big round heater located in the middle of the room comes to mind. One either roasted or froze according to how close ones to the heater. We lost my brother, Jesse, who was next to me. He was just to graduate from the University when he died. My mother and brother, Wilford Valentine, and I moved to Sugar House on 21st South, next door to my sister, Rebecca Jacobson. I attended school there at Sugar House. We moved back to the old house in Wilford Ward and I went to Roosevelt School on 9th East and 33rd South, graduating from the 8th grade. Mr. Hagen was my teacher and also the principal. We girls thought he was just "it". I spent two wonderful summers, along with Fay Cornwall, oil painting under the direction of A.B. Wright. Fay and I would meet each other up to the L.D.S. College and paint there next to Brother Wright's studio several days a week. He came back and forth from his studio next door to instruct us. I had two good years at L.D.S. College. My teachers were Henry Evans, B.H.Jacobson (my brother in law), Brother Horn, and Oscar A. Kirkham who was my music instructor. Next, back to Wilford Ward we came and I attended Granite High. Brother Whittaker was my Seminary Teacher, Brother Adam S. Bennion, my English Teacher. What a privilege to have such great good men touch my life. I received my Patriarchal Blessing 19 August 1912 from Patriarch Edward White Sr. This has been a comfort to me all my life. I met my husband to be, Joseph A. Green in March of 1913 just after he came fhome from his Mission to the Northern States. It was on a Sunday morning while I was visiting a Sunday School in Tremounton, Utah where my sister Ruth lived. Joseph dated me a few times while I was visiting at my sister's home and came to see me several times in Wilford Ward; but we did most of our courting by mail. Well, I was married to that wonderful missionary boy 15 September 1915 in the Salt Lake Temple. Mother gave us a nice reception at her home, which she later deeded to me. I spent six years with Joseph in Elwood, Utah. Three children - - - Fay, Pearl, and Arnold came to bless our house there. As for my activities in Elwood, I sang in the choir, did solo work, attended Relief Society, took part in plays, and taught Mutual. I had several operations in the Tremounton Hospital. My health has only been fair. My husband and I moved to Salt Lake City in 1922. My son Joseph Verl Green was born 22 April 1925 in the Wilford Ward home. I joined the Tabernacle Choir. It was to risky for me to stay with it because I needed to see that my children attended their meetings on Sunday. It was too much to expect my husband to see after. I had an invitation to join the Missionary Choir on Temple Square. J. Fredrick Davis was conductor. It was a thrill to sing with that fifty-voice choir every Sunday afternoon. Later, I also had the privilege of singing with the Central Group of Singing Mothers. I led the ward choir for many years and the Church Belles during World War II, which gave the young girls an interest. They practiced at my home Sunday mornings before Sunday School, winter and summer. I led the Singing Mothers for about 17 years. Other activities have included being chorister lin Sunday School, Mutual, Relief Society, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, and president of a religion class; furnishing music for funerals in various places and puting on programs for invalids and those sick in homes. For years I have belonged to a literary group, which has offered me a great challenge. In 1930, with the help of the P.T.A., I started the school lunch program at William Penn School. First one in Utah. I did that for several years. For 3 cents you got a bowl of soup, a couple of crackers, and a half pint of milk. Of course I new almost all the families and sometimes a child could not come up with the three cents and I gave that child a bowl of soup anyway. I also did book binding for Granite School District, worked at United grocery, trimmed men's hats at Smith Hatters, held half interest in a dressmaking and tailoring shop, clerked in a grocery store, went to West High to art school, took piano lessons along with my daughters, had vocval training at the University, and kept house and took care of my children best as I knew how. My husband always supported me in my endeavors until he died 14 April 1958. My children helped me also. I have visited my three families who lived out of State several times in the last three years--Pearl in Orange, California, Arnold in Fresno, California, and Fay in Joseph City Arizona. My son, Joseph built me a little home by him in the Granger 8th Ward. It is very comfortable and, I hope, inviting. I'm at present interest in my family and community, Temple work and genealogical research, music and art. I hope to be well, happy, busy and content for many years to come. My most treasured possession is my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints and the many blessings I have received through the Priesthood of God. Our posterity at this time is two sons and two daughters, eighteen grandchildren and two grreat granddaughters. It has been an exciting experience and privilege to be a wife, a Mother, a Grandmother and a great Grandmother. Catherine Green lived with her son Joseph and his wife LaVern for 19 years until her death in 1977.

File name
File Size
Linked toCatherine Woodbury STAY; Catherine Woodbury STAY

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 123» Next»