Last Name:   First Name:
Log In
Advanced Search
What's New
Most Wanted
All Media
Dates and Anniversaries
Change Language
Contact Us
Register for a User Account

Joseph STAY 

Joseph STAY

Male 1822 - 1903

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

«Prev 1 2

A History of Joseph Stay Part 2

Chapter 12

Sometime in 1858/59, the Stay family settled in the St. Louis area and spent the next sixteen years there. The children went to school and experienced early childhood in that city and surrounding environs. Joseph Hyrum indicated they used to "sit in trees and watch the troops of the Civil War go by". And that he "worked as a florist and landscape gardener, the same trade as his father". Both worked for Shaw's Botanical Gardens in St. Louis.

Early British members brought with them the kinds of technical skill and craftsmanship that the pioneers so desperately needed. - - - By 1887, more than 65,000 British converts immigrated to Utah. Among them were furniture makers, architects, potters, iron and textile workers, stone masons, engineers, musicians, painters printers, - - - They came from a land more technologically advanced than the American frontier, a land that had a longer, stronger cultural tradition in the arts than the new land of America.(38)

It would appear at first blush that the skills of an English landscape gardener or laborer were not needed in the Salt Lake Valley during the first years of emigration. Perhaps this was true and accounted for the family staying in Saint Louis for an extended period. The period of the Stay family's sojourn in St. Louis was a major period of development for St Louis as a horticultural mecca of the time. Joseph and his son, Joseph Hyrum, utilized their skills and obtained work in this activity.

Based upon Joseph and Joseph Hyrum's activities in St. Louis and Salt Lake, we might speculate about these skills. During Joseph's early life prior to immigrating to America, he was involved in landscape gardening as listed on his marriage records. As a gardener he must have been involved in landscaping which may have included the surveying, contouring and grading of roads, paths and gardens. In the mid 1800s England was in the midst of beautifying the country just when towns were being made uglier due to industrial development. Large landowners were in the midst of redesigning the countryside and utilized a large labor force to achieve it.

The landscape gardening of the eighteenth century resulted from the English abandonment of the geometric pattern of straight level paths, box hedges, regulated avenues of neatly shaped trees and formally shaped ornamental waters which French taste had dictated in the seventeenth century. The English garden was an attempt to turn nature into a work of art and yet to leave it still in nature - - - The willingness thus to blend the precincts of the house with the countryside to which it belonged and the acclimatization of exotic trees and shrubs suggested a genuine affection for nature in the great landowner; but it also ministered to his sense of himself, by giving him the feeling that as far as his eye could see all had been shaped to his heart's desire.(39)

In tracing the family's movements, we note that the area of England where Joseph and his family lived was replete with English landscape gardens. In particular, Westonbirt Arboretum located near Wooton-under-Edge, the location of Sarah's family roots and an LDS Church branch under the direction of Joseph Stay, is an outstanding example of English arboreta:

The main arboretum is on the edge of Silk Wood Forest near Tetbury. The collection of trees and shrubs from many parts of the world was begun in 1829 by Robert Stayner Holford, squire of Westonbirt. The landscape architect, W. S. Gilpin, arranged the specimens and the arboretum has been developed and increased on a large scale ever since. Trees and shrubs are planted in groups; massed spring-flowering shrubs are displayed near huge conifers, and maple glades show autumn tints against trees with unusual barks. There are large banks of rhododendrons, magnolias and cherries. The long vistas and secluded bays, the old oaks and giant conifers are beautiful in all seasons. - - - -
Early in the 19th century wealthy landowners began to make arboreta - collections of trees, Robert Stayner Holford, squire of Westonbirt, was one of these and in 1829 began his collection. --- Today, with its long vistas and secluded bays, it is a place of great beauty at all seasons. Particular attention has been paid to autumn coloring, and the maple glade when at its most brilliant in mid-October shows the tremendous success attained.(40)
Could Joseph have gained experience in landscaping at this particular locale? It is probable that at the very least he could have walked its paths and gained insight into landscaping concepts of the area. Surely these landscaping and gardening skills added to Joseph's and Joseph Hyrum's landscaping activities in the Salt Lake Valley once the settlement had achieved an economic level that could support well-appointed parks and civic building grounds.
Why would they immigrate to St. Louis, spending the next sixteen years there, and not move on to Zion? It seems that St. Louis was a gathering place for some of the Saints expelled from Nauvoo some years earlier.

Although surrounded by apostates . . . we feel perfectly safe in the midst of an enlightened people, who alike know how to appreciate political liberty and religious freedom.(41) Also: This city has been an asylum for our people from fifteen to twenty years . . . there is probably no city in the world where the Latter-day Saints are more respected, and where they may obtain an outfit for Utah . . . the hand of the Lord is in these things. . . .(42)

Some stopped in St. Louis for a variety of reasons . . . the main one was to work and recoup their finances. In 1949 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch summed up the Mormon experience in St. Louis very well when it printed, "It was the only town in the middle west large enough to give the Saints some degree of anonymity, cosmopolitan enough to be tolerant of the new and strange religion and prosperous enough to provide work for newcomers".(43)

We must assume from these historical comments that Joseph and his family arrived in Saint Louis to gain the necessary resources to then migrate to Utah. Economic conditions in St. Louis were so favorable that he was able to gain employment at several jobs. The specific reason for not moving on to Utah is not known; however, the reasons would appear to be fiscal or health related, based upon statements in the branch records where the family declared their intentions on several occasions and then did not go.

Joseph with Daughter Louisa

Joseph with daughter Louisa circa 1870

This picture of Joseph showed him to be an exceptionally well dressed gentleman, which would indicate that his salary as a foreman of Shaw's Botanical Gardens provided well for the family.

Chapter 13

See website Shaw's Botanical Gardens
Shaw's Botanical Gardens, located in St. Louis, is a park, - - - ornamented in the most artistic style, and abounds in beautiful shade trees, shrubs, and flowers indigenous and foreign, there are also handsome walks and drives, miniature lakes, springs, rustic bridges and bowers, summer-houses, pagodas, fountains, statues, etc.(44)
The founder of "Shaw's Botanical Garden", Henry Shaw, was an Englishman who came to St. Louis in 1819 and became a wealthy merchant selling cutlery and hardware. In about 1851 he had acquired a sizeable tract of land. During the late 1850s, Shaw retired from his business and spent the remainder of his life in the development of his English style botanical gardens.
In the summer of 1866, Mr. Shaw was fortunate enough to secure the services of Mr. James Gurney, from the Royal Botanical garden, in Regent's Park, London, whose practical knowledge and experience, and faithful and conscientious devotion to his various duties, won the entire confidence of his employer, and contributed very largely to make the garden and park what they
are now.(45)
This eccentric Henry Shaw had contact with Joseph and Joseph Hyrum. Both were hired by this unusual English entrepreneur. For thirty years he kept all accounts, made the plans and hired the workmen. If one examines his old account books, the disbursements, the payrolls, the names of the gardeners, the days and hours they worked, they are all set out precisely and legibly in Mr. Shaw's own handwriting.(46)
This notation prompted a letter by Sharon Brown to Shaw's in St. Louis with an interesting response. Indeed the Stays did have substantial contact with Henry Shaw. The current archivist of the Missouri Botanical Garden who is responsible for the early records kept by Shaw reports the following:
W consulted time records on employees of the Garden which begin in 1867, and did not find either Joseph or Joseph Hyrum Stay in these records up to the year 1867. Records prior to 1867 are not in our archives. I did find Joseph Stay and Joseph Stay Jr. in time records for Tower Grove Park: from December 1870 to December 1871 for Joseph Stay, and from December 1870 to May 1871 for Joseph Stay Jr. The time records for park employees in this period are not complete so it's hard to say how long they worked for the park. There are no records prior to December 1870 and from 1872 to 1879. I also found Joseph Stay listed in the 1868 Cash Book for Tower Grove Park, which is a different book from the time records. He is listed monthly beginning on June 3, 1870 and ending on May 15, 1872 with entries reading like the following: "Kopplin & Stay foremen & 56 men mow and mulch, water & laying of finish & walks." The duties of this crew for which Stay was one of the foremen varied for each month but included the following: Planting, rolling, driving, mowing, watering, laying of walks cultivating, digging foundations, and grading.
The minute book for meetings of Tower Grove Park Commissioners for January 1870 lists the following rates of pay per diem for employees: Foremen $2.00-3.50, Laborers $1.50-2.50, Boys .50 - .75. From this information, it's possible to figure approximately how much Joseph and Joseph Jr. were paid per day when they worked for Tower Grove Park.
Many entries for Joseph Stay are listed in Henry Shaw's ledger for 1862-1867. Most of them are payments from Stay to Shaw relating to the enclosed copy of a lease for a house and land south of Magnolia. Payments were $20.33 a month in 1866 and $16.00 a month for 1867. Missouri Botanical Garden was opened to the public in 1859.(47)
Included with the Missouri Botanical Garden letter were two Deeds of Lease between Henry Shaw and Joseph regarding the lease of a house and land on Magnolia Avenue commencing the eighteenth day of January 1865. The text of the Deed of Lease reads as follows:
This indenture, made and entered into on the eighteenth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty five by and between Henry Shaw, of Tower Grove, in the County of St. Louis, State of Missouri, party of the first part, and Joseph Stay of same county party of the second part, Witnesseth: That the said party of the first part, in consideration of rents reserved, and the covenants hereinafter contained, does hereby grant, demise, and to farm let, unto the said party of the second part a certain piece of farm land situated on the South side of Magnolia Avenue in La Praire Desnoyer* with a Brick House thereon. Said land commencing at a fence - - - feet from the west side of Grand Avenue and running along Magnolia Avenue 990 feet west to a fence being about 540 feet west from north to south, and bounded on north by Magnolia Avenue and East, South and West by lanes of Seftor and measuring twelve acres more or less.
*La Praire Desnoyer was a French designation of a part of the area.
The lease went on to discuss payment schedules and conditions of the payments. The lease was signed by Henry Shaw and Joseph Stay. A notation on the bottom of the lease indicated that it was renewed for a second year up to January first 1868 under the same conditions as the first lease and again signed by the two parties. In Joseph's hand, the following was added to a third page of the lease.
That the said - - - shall not be used for any other purpose than for farming and gardening not turn in cattle or other animals lose to pasture so as to trespass on the adjoining lands and that he will not hold the lesser liable for any damage that may accrue by horses or other animals breaking in or otherwise I will keep the fences in as good repair as at present.
A final notation in Joseph's hand is as follows:
1 acre potatoes
2 acres corn to be planted outside the 200 feet
Tower Grove Mansion was Henry Shaw's country home, and was located on a large tract of land adjoining the property leased by Joseph Stay.

Chapter 14

In about 1854 the St. Louis Saints numbered between 3,000 and 4,000 members. The total population in St. Louis at the time was about 63,000 persons. A stake was organized prior to this time with a number of branches and units. Then a concerted effort was made to have "all members gather to Zion" and a mass migration took place. The stake was discontinued in 1857 just before Joseph's arrival. From 1862 to 1868 and again from 1870 to 1877 St. Louis was a branch of the Indian Territory Mission. The branch had seventy- five members in 1864. In 1877, a conference was held in the Broadway Hall with forty-two in attendance. (Joseph's address for this period was 251 Broadway)
Joseph and his family moved to Salt Lake City in 1876. Through-out their sixteen years in the area, the Church in St. Louis was functioning with few members including the family of Joseph Stay. For some reason still not known, Joseph and his family remained in St. Louis while the congregation dwindled to a branch status of only a few families.
In researching the records of the Church in St. Louis we find the following entries pertaining to the Joseph Stay Family: Bro. Stay and others spoke in Council meeting Apr 1, 1862 Elizabeth Robinson baptized Aug 19 by Joseph Stay Confirmed by elder Joseph Stay same date 1863 Charlotte Elizabeth Stay baptized Aug. 19 by Joseph Stay Confirmed by Joseph Stay same date (Aug 19, 1863) Mary Ann Stay baptized Aug. 19 by Joseph Stay Confirmed by George Lamb same date Joseph Hyrum Stay bap. Aug 19, 1863 confirmed same date by Joseph Stay, Sarah Stay bap. by Joseph Stay Aug 23, 1863 conf. same date by George Lamb
These entries would lead us to believe that the above entries were rebaptisms which was a practice about this time for those who rededicated themselves. Note: This last entry may have been Sarah Jane Stay, Joseph's eldest daughter, or a rebaptism of mother Sarah.
Joseph Stay reported on the Saints living in Gravois at nearly every conference from Aug 3, 1862 through Nov. 30, 1863.(48)

Joseph Hyrum Stay with Sister Mary Ann

Joseph Hyrum Stay with Sister Mary Ann

Records would indicate that Mary Ann Stay baptized Aug 19 and died shortly after this time. Three pictures of Mary Ann have recently been found. Two show a hand holding her head erect, the third with her brother Joseph Hyrum, shows her head tipped leaning on his shoulder. A careful examination of the picture would lead one to believe that she may have had a major disability.
Saint Louis Council Minute Book 1864-1866: List of members in the branch, Oct 1864 - -
4th Section (4th Ward Teacher's District, St. Louis) Joseph Stay Elder, Sarah Stay Member, Joseph H. Stay Do,
Mary Anne Stay Do Dead (this "dead Notation is a later note) , Charlotte E. Stay Do Mary Pearce Do
From this entry, it verifies that Mary Lacy Pearce, Sarah's mother lived with the family during this period.

Photograph thought to be Mary Lacy Pearce(49)

On the ninth day of December 1860, twins were born to Joseph and Sarah: Charles William and Clara Ann Stay. The twins lived just seven months with Charles William's death being recorded as 13 June 1861 and Clara Ann's on the eleventh of June 1861. Deaths being reported within just a few days of each other would indicate that diphtheria, influenza or some other epidemic would have visited the family causing them much sorrow.

July 3, 1865:
Elder Joseph Stay reported 3rd Section.
July 9, 1865:
Bro. Stay could not make his report because he was attending a funeral.
July 31, 1865:
Elder Stay reported on his visits in the 3rd Section, also on his visit to Gravois to visit the Saints there.
Similar reports continued through December 1865.
Dec. 18, 1865:
Bro. Stay was released as a teacher, since he was moving to
Gravois. Bro. Stay was then appointed to preside over the saints in the Gravois District.
June 19, 1866:
Elder Joseph Stay reported the third section, found all in good humor.
This account documents the movement of Joseph and his family from St. Louis to Tower Grove which is near the Gravois area. The previously noted lease was first executed on the eighteenth day of January 1865 nearly one year earlier than the above account. Perhaps he lived on the property at Tower Grove and commuted back to St. Louis to work during this eleven month period. A note about the Gravois Branch:
The Gravois Branch was organized in 1847 with its own presidency which then formed with other branches to form a "conference".
The Gravois Branch was divided into four units, one of which was Welsh.(50)
However, the Gravois Branch in 1865 must have been reduced substantially due to emigration prior to this date.
December 1865 through 1867, Joseph attended monthly council meetings, reporting on the saints in Gravois. Attendance at council meeting was infrequent after July 1867.
It was while living in the Gravois Branch that Mary Ann, their fourth child was born.
April 5, 1868:
Bro Stay and family received back into St. Louis Branch after moving back from Gravois.
This entry would coincide with the completion of the four year lease of the Brick home located on the Shaw property which would have terminated January 1, 1868.

April 1868 through Nov. 21, 1869 Joseph Stay is reported back in St. Louis reporting visiting the third Section.
Mar. 7, 1869 Council Minutes:
Bro. Stay and family were all well and trying to do right. He had sold his team and was going to try and emigrate this spring.
Note: This notation and others over a six year period indicates that the Stays had good intention to (gather) emigrate. However, they did not arrive in Salt Lake until about 1876.
April 18, 1869 Council meeting minutes:
Section 3rd. No report - Bro. Stay working in the country.
May 16, 1869:
Bro. Stay felt well and desires to gather home to Utah and trusted we would be able to live our religion in the name of Jesus Amen.
June 27, 1869:
- - - as for himself and family, they feel well and anxious to immigrate to Utah. Will try their best to get away.
April 3, 1870:
Bro. Stay was authorized to take charge of the saints in Gravois.
This entry would indicate that the family again moved out in the country to work for Shaw at the Tower Grove location that is supported by the time records kept by Shaw for this period, 1870 through May of 1872.
January 1, 1871:
Elder Joseph Stay sustained as 2nd counselor to branch President Thomas Harris, Elder William Lowe was 1st Counselor.
Bro Stay was also sustained as a Deacon in the Branch. (likely Joseph Hyrum)
January 15, 1871:
Bro. Stay was appointed "Teacher over the Saints at Rock Spring for the present".
Report of the Conference held in Broadway Hall No. 1314 North Broadway, St. Louis Branch Oct. 4, 1873:
Elder Andrew Burman then arose and motioned "we sustain President Joseph Stay as our President of this branch with our faith and prayers." (Unanimous)
President Stay then arose and presented his two counselors, Andrew Burman and John T. Schrephel. Voted we sustain them unanimous -
Here we have the supporting documentation that the Stays again moved back to the city. Shaw's records do not reference Joseph after 1872.
May 18, 1873:
Elder Joseph Stay selected and set apart as President of the St. Louis Branch. He chose Andrew Burman as 1st and William
Ford as 2nd Counselor.
Meeting called to order by President Joseph Stay. Prayer by Pres. Joseph Stay.
Pres. Stay then spoke, hoping the Saints would realize their position they hold in the Kingdom.
January 2, 1876:
Pres. Stay then arose and stated that he was absent for two Sundays of the passed month. And was starting to see Bro Lamb ut through other business at the office of the cemetery he was detained from going. (Spelling noted as in minutes)
Note: This reference indicates that he worked at a "cemetery office" We can conclude from this that he no longer worked for Shaw but may have been involved in landscaping work or may have been the sexton at a cemetery.
2nd Note: See WEB site Reference from Cemetery Where two letters of recommendation have recently been found showing that he did indeed work at the Cemetery with high recommendations from the management.
October 1, 1876:
Pres. Stay then arose and stated he was about to leave us and that it was necessary to appoint some one there in his stead, then appointed Elder Andrew Berman as President of the St. Louis Branch.
November 5, 1876, Statistical report of the branch Conference held this data:
List of members emigrated- two elders five members seven total
We assume from this entry, that this emigration notation included the Joseph Stay family and their departure from the St. Louis area in November of 1876. No other Stay related entries appear in the branch records from this date forward.

Louisa and Charlotte Stay

Louisa and Charlotte Elizabeth Stay, circa 1876,
Saint Louis, about the time they left to go to Utah

Chapter 15

In the history of the Woodbury family a page is written regarding Joseph Hyrum Stay:

When he was about 25, the entire family moved to SLC where his father procured work with Walker Bros. Nursery." (51)

Joseph Hyrum Stay Mary Cornelia Woodbury

Joseph Hyrum Stay, Mary Cornelia Woodbury

From the same reference regarding Louisa Stay, this account was given: On arriving with her parents at the depot in Salt Lake, she pointed to a man standing near, and said to her mother. "That is the man I saw in my dream." The man proved to be William Josiah Woodbury, who had come with Louisa's brother to the depot to meet them.

William Josiah Woodbury Louisa Stay

William Josiah Woodbury, Louisa Stay
We can therefore determine that the family arrived in Salt Lake City by train in November of 1876, and that the son, Joseph Hyrum, had arrived in Salt Lake City earlier and met them at the depot. We can also conclude that the connection with the Woodbury family was in place prior to their arrival through an association with Joseph Hyrum.
Joseph Hyrum married Mary Cornelia Woodbury. His sister, Louisa Stay, Joseph's fifth child, married William Josiah Woodbury, the stepbrother of Mary Cornelia, which tied the Stay family into the Woodbury family through two lines (brother and sister married brother and step-sister).
Note: We have attempted to locate Walker Brothers Nursery noted in the Woodbury reference. According to the Salt Lake City Directory for the period no Walker Brothers Nursery existed. A Walker Brothers Mercantile Store did exist and the family was quite wealthy. A "R. Walker" was listed as Joseph's employer and had a large home within a few blocks of the Stay family residence. It would appear that Joseph was a gardener on the estate of the Walker family during this period.
The Joseph Stay family settled in the Salt Lake City First Ward. Of this period, we do know that in 1890 the family performed considerable temple work at the endowment house and traveled the distance of nearly 80 miles by wagon to the Logan Temple to do additional work. After arriving in Salt Lake, Joseph and Joseph Hyrum both worked on the landscaping of the Salt Lake City and County Building. This is particularly significant because of the 1989 complete renovation and restoration of this fine old red sandstone structure. Family tradition indicates that many of the majestic trees standing today were planted by Joseph and his son Joseph Hyrum. Tradition also indicates that Joseph was involved in the landscaping of Liberty Park just off 7th East during its construction in 1880 and 1881. Joseph's home was just one block away.
The City and County Building was completed in December of 1894. Charles Wilken was appointed superintendent of the park (Liberty Park) and a Swiss landscape gardener, Arnold Schulter, was engaged to design and improve the grounds. The City and County grounds (Washington Square) were landscaped by Martin Christofferson who was from Norway. The trees planted by Joseph and son, Joseph Hyrum, in Washington Square, where the impressive red sandstone Salt Lake City and County building is located have an interesting history:
Under instructions of Brigham Young all Mormon missionaries were instructed to search out and send to Utah healthy shoots of trees and plants, which they thought would grow in this desert valley. There are two hundred and ninety trees on Washington Square representing forty-five varieties . . . Newell Knight, County historian, 1966(52)

Chapter 16

Joseph Stay and his family actively participated as members of the Salt Lake First Ward. The following entries were found in the First Ward Records:
1881 Alexander Steel was appointed superintendent (of the Sunday School), he chose for his assistants Brother George Hilton and Joseph Stay, who had acted as assistants to the former superintendent.
The school was re-organized April 11, 1886 with Niels Rasmussen as Superintendent and Joseph Stay, 1st Assistant with William T. Jack as 2nd Assistant.
January 25, 1875, Bishop Joseph Warburton sustained Riego Hawkins Secretary of the YMMIA. Riego Hawkins was the son-in-law married to Charlotte Elizabeth Stay Hawkins the third child of Joseph Stay.
Primary Minutes:
Mrs. Louisa Stay Woodbury was chosen as President September 19, 1893 with Fannie Steel as first and Mrs. Charlotte Elizabeth (Stay) Hawkins as 2nd Counselor".

Riego Hawkins Charlotte Elizabeth Stay

Regio Hawkins, Charlotte Elizabeth Stay
Louisa Stay Woodbury was the fifth child of Joseph and Sarah Stay. At a special Meeting held in the First Ward Meeting House July 6, 1903, the foregoing history of the First Ward was read by historian Andrew Jensen in the presence of Bishop Joseph Warburton, Counselors John T. Thorup and Niels Rasmussen and Riego Hawkins, Louisa Stay Woodbury, Miriam G. Chase and Joseph Reuben Squires, who by unanimous vote approved of the same as being correct.(53)
Louisa's husband, William Josiah Woodbury, had an untimely death leaving Louisa with four children. After the death of her husband, Louisa had a severe illness, which made it necessary for her to be taken care of by the Relief Society sisters.
After recovering sufficiently, Louisa continued her activities in the church. She worked in the Primary in the Seventh Ward. Later on she moved to the First Ward where she continued her church activities. She served as president of the Primary for
several years, but it became necessary for her to give up her work in the Primary in order to care for her parents, who were
well stricken in years. Louisa moved to their home, and cared for them during the remaining years of their lives.(54)
The Salt Lake First Ward boundaries about 1890 were: On the north- 6th South; on the east Ft. Douglas; on the south - 10th Street; and on the west - 6th East. The east half of Liberty Park is in the ward.
Sometime in 1899 Elder Riego Stay Hawkins, Joseph's grandson, was set apart for a mission to Great Britain; he returned in 1902.

In 1909 Bishop Warburton released as bishop and made a patriarch.

Rebecca Stay Warburton

Rebecca Stay Warburton

Bishop Joseph Warburton's son, Joseph Columbus Warburton married Rebecca Stay, the eighth child of Joseph and Sarah.
Sarah Jane, Joseph's eldest daughter lived in the family home for a period, and then married for the third time to a William J. Powell (a plural wife relationship) who was listed as a rancher in the city directory. The residence was listed as across the street from the Stay home.

Sarah Jane Stay

Sarah Jane Stay

Significance of the above entries.
1. The site of one of the Joseph Stay homes has been located within the ward boundaries. It is 738 South Wellington Avenue.
2. Joseph and his family were active in the Salt Lake First Ward, Joseph acting as an assistant to the Sunday School president from 1881 until 1886.
3. Riego Stay Hawkins was sent to England on a mission in 1899. Did Riego keep a journal and could he have recorded contacting his wife's family still in England?
4. Joseph's four daughters lived within the ward boundaries: Sarah Jane Stay Powell, Louisa Stay Woodbury; Charlotte Elizabeth Stay Hawkins and Rebecca Stay Warburton. All were active members holding positions of leadership in the ward.

The Four Stay Sisters

The four Stay Sisters some years after the death of Joseph.

Joseph's oldest daughter, Sarah Jane married Charles C. W. Vaught on June 3, 1869. Charles was a St. Louis City policeman and was killed in the line of duty in 1871. She stayed in St. Louis to be with her family and married James B. Rutherford about 1874. One daughter was born to this marriage Ida Meda Rutherford. There was a divorce and after she arrived in Salt Lake, she married William James Powell in 1884. One child was born to this marriage, Sarah Mable Powell born 26 July 1884. Sarah died on 3 December 1932 in Chino California where she had been living with her daughter Ida Meda. Sarah is buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery.

Sarah Jane Stay Older Joseph Stay Old Age

Joseph and Sarah Jane at about the time of their Golden Wedding

We find this reference in the Deseret Evening News on July 7, 1896: Golden Wedding On July 7th, fifty years ago Joseph Stay and Sarah Pearce were made man and wife in merry old England. On Tuesday, the 7th inst. their children, grandchildren and friends, including Bishop Joseph Warburton, met at their residence no. 738 South Wellington Ave, to celebrate the happy event and congratulate them on their "Golden Wedding".

After the aged couple had received the congratulations and good wishes of their host of friends, the company of between 30 and 40 did justice to a well filled table spread under the shade of the magnificent trees in front of their home. After partaking of refreshments the evening was spent in quiet enjoyment. Long life and happiness to the bashful groom and blushing bride."

Stay Family House

Family home at 732 7th East Salt Lake City Utah The home was demolished some years ago and a new home built on the site.
Wellington Avenue is now Green Street just east of 6th East, the home is no longer there. We also have located a High Priests listing in his hand, indicating the families 1879 residence as "Rear 732 7th East Street.

Joseph's wife Sarah Jane Pearce Stay, died the fifth of March 1898. Her son, Joseph Hyrum, took his own life just one month later. One would wonder if Joseph Hyrum may have been despondent over his mother's death.

Joseph then went to live with his daughter-in-law, Mary Cornelia Woodbury Stay, Joseph Hyrum's widow. We have an early picture of the house just off 33rd South that shows Mary Cornelia in front. Family members point to a portion of the house that extends to the rear indicating the addition was built “for a grandfather who lived there”. Aden Stay, Joseph's great grandson, tells us that this room was built for Grandfather Joseph Stay and that his mother Alice Bailey Stay would often visit Joseph, her husband's grandfather, at this house and "that he was a very nice old man". Joseph died 5 January 1903 at age 80 years, apparently at the home of his deceased son after being cared for by Mary Cornelia.
Joseph’s funeral was noted in the Desseret Evening News dated January 6, 1903.

Joseph Stay’s Funeral will take place Thursday from the first Ward Meeting House.

The funeral of Joseph Stay, whose death was announced in last night’s “News” will take place in the First Ward meeting house on Thursday, the 8th inst., at 1:30 p.m. Friends of the family are invited. The remains may be viewed at the late residence. 738 Wellington Avenue, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. the day of the funeral.

As there were some inaccuracies in last night’s account of deceased, the following information furnished by Reigo Hawkins, a son-in-law, is cheerfully given space: Joseph Stay was 80 years, 9 months and 19 days old. He had been a resident of Utah since 1876 and had been paralyzed for 14 years, 8 years of which he had been utterly helpless. Nearly five years ago he buried his aged and faithful wife, shortly after celebrating their golden wedding. He was true and faithful to his covenants, a consistent Latter-day Saint, and a friend to the poor and needy, serving of his means literally, He leaves four daughters all of whom are faithful members of the Church. They are Mrs. Sarah J. Powell, Mrs. Charlotte E. Hawkins, Mrs. Louisa Woodbury, and Mrs. Rebecca Warburton. He also leaves 21 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.”

From this death announcement written by Joseph’s son-in-law Regio Hawkins, it would appear that Joseph suffered a stroke and was “utterly helpless”. His daughters lived either in the same household or very nearby and would have cared for him during the last 14 years of his life. Sarah Jane Powell his eldest daughter is recorded as taking care of the arrangements at the Salt Lake City Cemetery for both Sarah Jane, Joseph’s wife and Joseph Hyrum his son.

Chapter 17

Joseph Stay is the patriarch to a vast number of descendants. We now know through this study, that he was a man of character stemming from humble circumstances. Clearly he was a man of the soil accustomed to hard work behind a team and had a special talent for things that grow. Joseph lived through a period of change, the period during the development of the Industrial Revolution, electricity, railroads, sterile techniques in medicine, the automobile, many things that people of today take for granted. He and Sarah must have pined over the loss of three children, and at times, economic hardship.

Joseph and Sarah Jane had a deep religious conviction proclaiming its values through missionary activity and ecclesiastical callings and responsibilities. His leadership qualities destined him to affect many lives in England, St. Louis and Salt Lake City.

Joseph and Sarah are buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery in Block 9, lot 4, S2W Gr 1 and 2.(55) The markers are in good state of repair with several other Stays (Aden and Louisa) and a number of Woodburys and Warburtons surrounding them. "He has fought a good fight, he has finished his course, he has kept the faith!"

Chapter 18

The membership records for the area in England are not complete. This list represents those identified earlier in this paper within the sparse membership records of the time in England and St. Louis. It would be fair to assume that the number of baptisms and ordinances performed by Joseph substantially exceed this listing.

Amy Astman, Bapt. by Joseph Stay at Chalford 17/4/51 Confirmed by Joseph Stay
Naomi Gardner, Confirmed by Joseph Stay
Mary Rowles, of Chalford, Bapt. by Joseph Stay 29/6/51 at Nailsworth, Confirmed by Joseph Stay at Nailsworth
Daniel Ludlow, of Avening, bapt 20/3/51 by Joseph Stay
Mary Astman, Bapt. by Joseph Stay 29/6/52
Eliza Jane Clifford, of Nailsworth, Bapt. by Joseph Stay 11/6/51 at Nailsworth
Richard Clayfield, of Horsley, Baptized by Joseph Stay
John Clark, of Hampton, Bapt. by Joseph Stay 11/20/52
Ann Gill Clark, of Hampton, Bapt. by Joseph Stay 7/2/52
Harriet Clark, of Hampton, Confirmed by Joseph Stay 1851
Thomas Hanks, of Horsley, Confirmed by Joseph Stay 9/2/51
George Hanks, of Horsley, Confirmed by Joseph Stay 9/2/51
Ellen Day, daughter of Edward & Mary Day Bapt. by Joseph Stay
21/12/51 (this daughter was listed in the 1851 census as being four years old)
Abedneg Clifford, ordained to elder by Joseph Stay 25/8/50
John Russell, Confirmed 24/11/51 at Tetbury by Joseph Stay
Jonima Russell, Confirmed 24/11/51 by Joseph Stay
Joseph Walker, Confirmed 24/11/51 by Joseph Stay
James Tombs, age 26 of Cheltenham, Baptized 27/9/49 by Joseph Stay
Collen Caroline Pimbol, of Malvern, Bapt. 9/7/49 by Elder Joseph Stay
Alfred Charles Morris, of Cheltenham, Bapt. 11/3/50 by Joseph Stay
Catherine Bethal, age 16 Bapt. 28/1/50 by Joseph Stay
Elizabeth Mitchell, of Cheltenham Branch, Bapt. 6/8/50 by Joseph Stay
Mary Ann Hains, Bapt. by Joseph Stay, no date.
Joseph Stay Bapt. five persons 27 Feb. 1850 at the Cheltenham Branch, Bapt. 3 persons 11 March 1850
Joseph Stay Bapt. one sister 6 Aug, 1850 Cheltenham Branch.
St. Louis Branch Council Minute Book, 1862, 1863:
Elizabeth Robinson, Bapt. Aug. 19 1863, by Joseph Stay, confirmed by Elder Joseph Stay same date.
Grace Morgan, baptized Aug. 19, 1863, by Joseph Stay
Margrett Wedd, Bapt. Aug. 23, 1863 by Joseph Stay
John Robinson, Bapt. Aug 23, 1863 by Joseph Stay, confirmed same date by Joseph Stay
Jane Robinson, Bapt. Aug 23, 1863 by Joseph Stay
Several others listed as being baptized by Joseph Stay between June and October of 1863 in St. Louis.

1. Angus Cannon Woodbury, History of the Jeremiah Woodbury Family, (Burley, Idaho: Reminder Press, 1958)
2. The Bible is in the possession of Chris Upton of Mudyford, Hampshire, England. Chris is the daughter of Joyce Upton a sister of Harry Stay.
3. The records are in the LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah
4. A copy of this certificate is held by Gary Stay.
5. A New History of England, (Sussex: The Harvester Press, 1982) p.327.
6. The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol 10, (Cambridge: University Press, 1971) p.418.
7. A New History of England, (Sussex: The Harvester Press, 1982), p.308
8. Ibid., p.412
9. Taken from a letter written May 1818 by Mistress - Miss Mary Young. (Original letter in archives of Christchurch Congregational Church)
10. An advertisement in the time of Rev. Joseph Fletcher, (Archives of Christchurch Congregational Church)
11. The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol 9, p.38
12. Ibid., Vol. 10, p.35.
13. Ibid.
14. Ibid.
15. Ibid. p. 331.
16. Notes taken from the records of the LDS Church in England held by the Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah
17. Source a note in Joseph's hand. (G.S. call No. 289.3 Ea85m V41)
18. Times and Seasons, Volume 1, p. 168
19. Marriage Register, St. Michael, Gloucester
20. Sites located by Gary and Laura Stay, 1987.
21. References to this branch in The Millennial Star, British Mission Conference, South Conference Pamphlet, No pub. date.
22. Family Group Sheet for Sarah Jane Stay.
23. LDS Historical Dept. Salt Lake City, Utah. Lib. Book No. 2965 p. 12.
24. Ibid., Lib Book No. 164, p. 2.
25. Ibid., Lib Book No. 164, p. 7.
26. Ibid., Lib Book No. 164 p. 15.
27. Cheltenham Conference Minute Book 1853-56, LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah, LR 1631 21.
28. Evans, "Mormonism" in Great Britain, p. 149.
29. LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah Lib. Book 164 p. 134-140
30. Ibid.,
31. Ibid., p. 142-152.
32. Emigration reference books, LDS Church Historical Department, reference area.
33. Notes taken at Brigham Young University January 16-17 1987, Richard L. Jensen, "Whether, When, and How to Gather Zion? A Close Look at Emigration of Latter-day Saints from the British Isles".
34. Evans, "Mormonism" in Great Britain, p. 231.
35. LDS Church Historical Department, Reel 8, CR 376 2 Folder 29 and Reel 4 CR 376 2 Folder 11.
36. Notes taken at a conference entitled "The Church in the British Isles" January 16-17, 1987, Brigham Young University, paper presented by Paul F. Smart "Life on Board a Mormon Emigrant Ship".
37. Noted from "A Coincidence" written by Alice Bailey Stay in the early 1930s, copy held by author.
38. Seen at the LDS Church Museum display "Legacy of British Skill, LDS Church News, (Salt Lake City: Deseret Press - Week ending February 28, 1987) p. 32.
39. L.C.B. Seaman, A New History of England, p. 317.
40. Treasures of Britain, (Fanum House, Basingstoke, Hants. Drive Publications Limited, for the Automobile Association, 1986) pp. 480-481.
41. LDS Conference Resolution, LDS Church Semi Annual Conference, 10 Feb. 1845, regarding St. Louis.
42. St. Louis Luminary, 3 Feb.,1855, LDS Church Historical Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
43. Stanley B. Kimball, The Saints and St. Louis, (BYU Studies, Summer, 1973).
44. J. Thomas Scharf, History of Saint Louis City and County, Vol I. (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts & Co. 1883), p. 754.
45. Ibid.
46. Harry M. Hagen, This is our St. Louis, (St. Louis, Missouri: Knight Publishing Co. No pub. date) p. 180.
47. Letter received by Sharon Stay Brown from the Archivist at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, dated May 1, 1987.
48. Specific references from the St. Louis LDS records for the period were provided by staff from the LDS Church Historical Department. The sources were not given.
49. Photo of English origin thought to be Mary Lacy Pearce prior to the family moving to the United States. The original tin-type is in the Charlotte Hawkins album owned by Bernice Chatwin
50. Ward Records File, LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah.
51. Angus Cannon Woodbury, History of the Jeremiah Woodbury Family, (Burley, Idaho: Reminder Press, 1958).
52. Files, City and County Building, Salt Lake City Public Library, Special Collections.
53. Microfilm CR Mh 2871, LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake First Ward Records.
54. Woodbury, History of the Jeremiah Woodbury Family, p.
55. Salt Lake City Cemetery Record Book, Salt Lake City Cemetery.

A History of Peter Stay

Owner/SourceGary Stay
DateMar 2009
File nameA History of Joseph Stay Part 2
File Size
Linked toJoseph STAY

«Prev 1 2